Sunday, June 9, 2013

My Summer: Leeann Dickerson


I am working with the Preservation Society of Charleston as an intern for their Seven to Save Program. Each year the Society highlights seven endangered sites or projects in order to help diversify preservation initiatives in the Charleston community. Through my internship I have been working primarily with Charleston Sweet Shops, which were included on the 2012 Seven to Save list. Sweet Shops are vernacular commercial buildings built throughout residential neighborhoods in the early twentieth century. Characterized primarily by their small size and neighborhood-centric businesses, Sweet Shops are an abundant, yet previously unrecognized resource in Charleston’s history. The Preservation Society’s intensive surveying and research initiative will begin to define the Sweet Shop’s value for future generations (for more information, visit http://www.preservationsociety.org). When I'm not scouring the city for sweet shops I'm busy trying to take in as many of Charleston's fun sites and sounds as I can!

-Leeann


No comments:

Post a Comment